Glue sticks for print bed
I would like to get a green tombow PITS adhesive stick. On Rakuten, it costs \$1 (USD). On my 3d printer's (XYZ) retailer's site, it costs \$20 (USD). Due to the costs and the fact that Rakuten does not ship to my country, I need an alternative. I am currently using Davinci 1.0 for my bed, which I believe is a glass bed. So, my questions are:
- What glue is best for PLA plastic?
- What glue is best for ABS plastic?
- Is there a glue that functions with both types of plastic?
The glue sticks I saw in use were normal office supply sticks. So probably optimized to glue paper ;-) So I would recommend to use whatever your local office supply store has. You can also try hairspray.
@LarsPötter hairspray is ok but it sprays (spread) around. paper glue is way better as it can be applied on exact place on the bed.
As mentioned by Matt - PVA glues work perfect for both filaments.
It works well because it's softening temperature is between 45..85C so it's more or less temperature of HB.
- easy to apply on HB
- can be applied on cold as same as on hot HB
- sticks model very well
- non toxic, no solvent, odorless
- easy to wash (from HB) (just wash it under water or scrape with sharp tool)
- works very well even with old and dry layer of glue
- quite hard to detach model (I use paper knife)
- first layer is not glass-perfect
- after detaching, model is a bit sticky (first layer)
I use Scotch Glue Stick by 3M.
This answer focuses on one specific type of glue, while there are countless ones that work. A "these types of glues work"-type answer would be significantly more valuable than this answer, which is essentially a product endorsement/review. (Like the one given by Matt, except a bit more detailed).
I use glue Sticks from Staples. It works. Anything else is over thinking :-)
I use it daily on PLA and ABS on 3 out of 5 printers. Printed 5 lbs this week in plastic so far.
Following my flashforge creator pros use this amazing mat, that even after months of use still work great (so long as I clean it with alcohol every so)
Some use hairspray. Tried it, mix results, got sick of breathing the stuff in. Also it wont work on both plastics as gluesticks do.