Electric shock from ender 3 printer PSU

  • I had recently purchased an ender 3 and after setting it up and plugging it in, I received an electrical shock from the power supply. I live in the UK and so I was provided an EU to UK adapter which I used and I set the voltage to 230 V.

    Does anyone know why I was shocked and if there is any solution? Was it because EU to UK isn’t grounded (or am I wrong)?

    Would an older 10 amp monitor power cable work better as it’s grounded?

    Hi and welcome to 3D Printing.SE! Please take care if the mains voltage is considered. Please define shock, you mean a shock from the mains voltage? Or a leaking (low) current giving a unpleasant feeling?

    A low current unpleasant feeling. (Another question) Also like the 3D printer noob that I am; I decided to open up the PSU and after a check everything seemed fine and I put it back. When putting it back I over tightened one of the hex screws; do you think it’ll still be ok despite being a tad loose

    Using a UK 3 pin plug is probably a very good idea, the weird feeling *could* be due to poor grounding. If it is a tad loose it is probably ok, but maybe a bit of electrical insulating tape wrapped around could be a good idea to keep it together, so long as it doesn't cover any ventilation holes or end up making the PSU get warmer

    So the eu cable provided with the printer states 16 amps 250 V on it; is it ok to use a uk 10 amp 250V cable instead then? With the uk one obviously being grounded as well— I’m mainly worrying about blowing the 10 amp fuse at this point.

    A blown fuse is not a problem and can be easily replaced, so you shouldn't worry about that. Besides as Tom's comment the printer shouldn't draw that much current anyway. If it *does* blow, then there is something seriously wrong with the printer, and either check the circuits yourself, or if you don't feel comfortable, or confident, to do it, send it back as it will be a sure sign that the printer is faulty. However, the supplier probably just supplied an over large cable/plug

    Have you found & fixed the problem? If any of the answers helped you to get an answer to your question or come to your own conclusions then please do vote & accept an answer (using the tick button next to it). This helps us reduce the unanswered questions list & stops the question from being bumped once in a while. If you found another answer (than those already posted), please add that answer (& accept after 48 hours) to share your experience with the community. If you have not been able to address the problem please update your question.

  • You need to take particular care when using plug adaptors - they are not always made to a high standard, and it is possible that the earth connection is not present. If you suspect that the earth connection won't allow a 13 A fuse to blow, it would be good to destroy the adaptor.

    A simple cable (without adaptor) will be better, but is unlikely to solve the problem.

    You should also check if your mains supply uses an earth-leakage protection circuit (any modern installation must, but your house may predate this legislation).

License under CC-BY-SA with attribution

Content dated before 7/24/2021 11:53 AM