Looking for a term : end of song n is the beginning of song n+1

  • I'm looking for a term describing the fact that, on a music album, the end of a song is the beginning of the next one, which gives the impression that there is no cut between the two songs.

    I'm pretty sure a special term exists and I used to hear it, though I'm not 100 % sure...

    Examples : between Perfect and Daphne Descends on The Smashing Pumpkins' album Adore, or between Links 2-3-4 and Sonne on Rammstein's album Mutter.

    Rammstein 4 ever \m/

  • aergistal

    aergistal Correct answer

    7 years ago

    It's called a segue, from the Italian segue - "follows", generally meaning a smooth transition.

    Wikipedia also mentions that some album notations distinguish track listings through the use of symbols, such as a >, , or / to indicate songs that flow seamlessly.

    This term doesn't ring a bell to me at all, but it seems pretty clear that, according to Wikipedia's "Famous examples in rock music" in the Segue article, it is the correct word I was looking for ! Thank you :)

    If the transition is a contrasting section it might serve as a *bridge* between songs.

    And it's pronounced "seg-way" with two syllables.

    "Segue" covers those situations, as in an opera where one number follows another with no dialogue or action in between, though the first number comes to a definite end, and there may be time for the audience to applaud it. Terms for the situation where the first flows seamlessly into the second, without missing a beat, include "dead segue" and "segue as one". The score may use the musical indication "attacca".

License under CC-BY-SA with attribution

Content dated before 7/24/2021 11:53 AM

Tags used