How did the ranking system for the Sumerian pantheon work?
According to this source, the gods had some numerical ranks as below:
- Anu (ranking #60)
- Antu (ranking #55)
- Enlil (ranking #50)
- Ninlil / Sud (ranking #45)
- Enki / EA (ranking #40)
- Ninki / Damkina (ranking #35)
- Nanna / Nannar / Sin / El (ranking #30)
- Ningal (ranking #25)
- Utu / Shamash / Allah (ranking #20)
- Inanna / Ishtar (ranking #15)
- Adad / Ishkur (ranking #10)
- Ninhursag / Ninmah / Ninti (ranking #5)
How did this system work?
The ranking system (which I believe to be a little off) seem to be how powerful the god was according to the people and priests.
Anu is the top dog while his wife Antu is 5 below symbolizing that man was considered higher than women.
As you can see the system is based on 5's with every male in the 10's and their spouses 5 below.