What's the opposite of a "return" flight?

  • In a round trip, there are two flights. The second one is the return flight. What's the first one called?

    Is it the departure flight? That seems strange, because every flight has a departure and an arrival, doesn't it?

    Maybe this EL&U link is helpful.

    In spanish there is 'ida' and 'vuelta' but in English I thought it was just "flight" and "return flight". Had no idea there was an adjective for the first half of the trip!

    "there flight"? After all how else could you return from there with a return flight. This might be something for English.stackexchange. You could also just say "first flight of a round trip".

  • I would call it the "outbound" flight.

    By the way I'm not sure "return flight" is unambiguous. In some contexts (such as when booking tickets) it could easily be understood as the combination of an outbound and inbound flight.

    (Of course, "outbound" and "inbound" are also slightly ambiguous -- they could refer to legs going from or to an airline hub, but that's more from the perspective of operations planning and timetabling than from the traveler's perspective).

    Correct. _traveling away from a particular place, especially on the first leg of a round trip. "an outbound flight"_. Oxford Dictionaries.

    Return is ambiguous between US and UK English. In the US, a Return flight is just the trip back to your origin. Including both ways, it's a Round Trip.

    @Johns-305 Indeed - on the railways in the UK, you can buy "return" tickets, which in turn have "out" and "return" portions. It's mildly confusing.

License under CC-BY-SA with attribution

Content dated before 7/24/2021 11:53 AM