Is it safe to drink water with a strong chlorine smell?
Are there any health issues with drinking heavily chlorinated water?
During a recent trip to Australia (Queensland, NSW), virtually all tap water I found had a very strong chlorine smell and taste. I asked locals and was told it is safe to drink and I did not get any adverse effects after drinking it for a week.
I am curious, because in other places I lived (Switzerland, Singapore), tap water does not smell at all and chlorine smell is usually linked to swimming pools or decorative water fountains which carry a "do not drink" sign.
It may be the case that "chlorine smell" is not really chlorine, but chloramine: https://chlorine.americanchemistry.com/Science-Center/Chlorine-Compound-of-the-Month-Library/Chloramines-Understanding-Pool-Smell/
My understanding is that chlorine, in the concentrations found in drinking water, does not pose an acute health danger. There may be health risks associated with long-term exposure, and this is a more controversial topic, where the literature and expert opinions are mixed. Most main-stream information seems to suggest it's safe, but the skeptics claim a corporate bias, etc.
Some of the long-term exposure risks reported are cancer, heart trouble, and senility. Note that much of claimed risk is associated with long, hot showers, not drinking it.
If you're only visiting for a while, and don't have any known Chlorine sensitivities, you'll probably be just fine. If the taste bothers you, or you're especially concerned about long-term health affects, drink bottled water.
Some related SE posts: