Travelling to the USA, but want to stay longer than 3 months? is this possible? UK citizen

  • I want to travel to the USA (I am UK Citizen) and I am only allowed 90 days.

    Is it possible for me to stay longer - say 6 months to a year, and how?

    Of course. Obtain a B1/B2 visa and usually that allows a 6 months stay.

    Thanks, but i cant find anywhere online thats says this is possible? is it possible to be denied a B1/B2?

    It's possible to be denied just as it is possible to be denied an ESTA. All you need to do is apply at the US Embassy or Consulate.

    @Jlc the word *live* will get your visa request denied. You can visit for tourist purposes but if you show up at the border with a return ticket six months in the future prepare for some hard questions about how do you plan to afford your visit since you are not allowed to work.

    @chx how difficult is it to get a working visa?

    To the USA? On scale of 1-10 what about 9 or so?

    Related: It looks from that like US visa/immigration law is not particularly sympathetic to unmarried couples wanting to spend a lot of time together.

    @Karlson That's a good answer to the question.

  • The only way to stay in the US for more than 90 days is to obtain a B1/B2 visa, which will allow you to stay up to 6 months.

    However in general the US is relatively strict regarding granting B1/B2 visas to people who are otherwise eligible to use the Visa Waiver Program (which allows for stays up to 90 days). Generally they will be looking for a very good reason that you intend to stay for more than 90 days, and some level of guarantee that you will leave at the end of your stay.

    Unfortunately visiting a girlfriend generally doesn't tick these boxes. A 6 month stay also means that it's likely that you don't have a job to return to in the UK, and probably don't have a permanent UK residence to return to - if these are both true then your odds of having a visa approved are reduced even further.

    The problem then becomes that if you do apply for a visa and it is rejected, you are no longer able to enter the US using the Visa Waiver Program - which means that you can't visit your girlfriend at all.

    Nobody here can give you a definitive answer as nobody knows your exact situation or how the consulate staff will interpret that situation - but if it were me I would NOT be risking applying for a visa.

    yeah this is what i thought. Thanks @Doc- Have i got any options?

    What if i got a internship over there to do with my career?

    An internship would require at least a J1 visa, and whilst that may be possible it's a lot of effort to obtain both the internship and the visa.

    and if the j1 visa was denied- would the same apply as regards to the ESTA?

    Yes. Any visa denial means no VWP

    @Jlc another option is a full-time course of study. I know someone who used that route to move in with her then-boyfriend, who was in the US for many years on a work visa. Now they are married and are US citizens.

    @phoog - if i did that is there still a chance a visa in would be denied? which leaves me in the same situation?

    @Jlc (delayed reply because I was on vacation): There's always a chance that any visa application will be denied. I don't know what the denial rates are for people in full-time courses of study, but I would guess that they are low. If you are looking for a guaranteed way to live in the United States (with a partner or otherwise), you will not find it. What's more, if you are looking for a guaranteed way to enter the United States for *any length of time,* you won't find that, either.

  • Yes

    You will need to obtain a B1/B2 visa (not an ESTA with the Visa Waiver Program) at the nearest US embassy or consulate.

    That allows up to 6 months stay upon entry.

License under CC-BY-SA with attribution

Content dated before 7/24/2021 11:53 AM